The castle stable path in Kollnburg is part of the “Baier Weg”, one of the oldest bridle paths in the Bavarian forest. The old path through the prehistoric site of the castle with its attractive rock areas connects the upper and lower village.
The castle tower (11 m) and the castle well (17.5 m) are the landmarks of Kollnburg. The castle was built in the middle of the 12th century to protect the treasure of the “Grafen von Bogen” who dominated the whole middle Mid-Bavarian Forest throughout the 13th Century.
There are four churches in Kollnburg. The parish of Holy Trinity, the parish church “St. Magdalena” in Kirchaitnach, the church branch in Allersdorf and the church branch “Heart of Jesus” in Ayrhof.
At the suggestion of our village priest Josef Renner, we have created a meditation path with beautiful glass panels through the parish garden and around the parish yard. The impressive glass panels are made by glass artists in the glassworks Weinfurtner.
A particular interesting target sight in our village is the private “Motorcycle Museum” by Willi Schmid, known as “Za Willi”between locals, in the Sedlhofer street. He lovingly restored everything connected to vintage cars and has gathered an amazing private motorcycle collection.
Natural monument old oak in KirchaitnachThe small village Kirchaitnach is characterized by an unusual village picture. Crucial for this is the completely free-standing village church in brick construction, as well as remotely lying cemetery.
The nature study trail “Kollnburger Pröllersteig,” begins at the foot of the Pröller in Hinterviechtach. (Crossing “Pröller – ski and hiking area” at the state street Viechtach – St. Englmar).
With 1048 m the Pröller is the highest mountain in Kollnburg. Surely, the peak of Pröller belongs to the neighbouring community, but more than 2 / 3 of the north side of the Pröller is lying within the municipality Kollnburg.
One of the most unusual sights in the Bavarian Forest from 1869. A monumental stone memorial at a historic place, with wonderful panoramic views. Accourding to the tradition, Georg Biel Maier erected the monument with his servants and with the participation of the Kollnburg painter Johann B. Reisbacher to ease his guilty conscience, caused by a fraud to his deceased brother and his wife.
Right in the middle of the castle village Kollnburg, the enchanting, garden of the Zankl family with approximately 1700 square meters cuddles up to the southern side of the castle. Several terraces with planted shrubs and stone walls are divided into different areas such as the berry garden, fruit-tree park and wild shrubs hedge.